ASSAMESE ALOO PITIKA
Easy Assamese AlooPitika - mashed potatoes in mustard oil, with onions and hot green chillies.Vegan, gluten free, this is a simple North East Indian dish
- 2 Potatoes - or about 2 cups when peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon mustard oil
- 1/2 cup sliced onions
- 2 Green chillies - or 2 teaspoons of sliced chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- coriander leaves - for garnish
- Set the potatoes to boil. I used a pressure cooker and cooked till 3 whistles so the potatoes became soft and fully cooked. The timings above are based on the same.
- Meanwhile prepare the other ingredients: Slice thechilies, onions (small pieces) and mince the coriander leaves
- When the cooker is ready to open, peel the potatoes and then mash them as you would for chokha. Check that there are no chunks of un-mashed potato
- Add salt, chilli, onion slices and mustard oil. Mix it all well. Either mix in the coriander leaves (which is what I did) or use them as garnish. Serve with rice and dhal or with roti, whatever you please!