Besan Chilla is a savory pancake made with gram flour and veggies. It's vegan, gluten-free and a popular breakfast in India!
- 1.5 cups besan 158 grams, gram flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ajwain carom seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup carrots finely grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons green pepper finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger finely chopped
- 1-2 green chili chopped, to taste
- 1 cup + 2 to 4 tablespoons water 240 ml + 30-60 ml, as needed
- 3-4 teaspoons oil to cook the chilla
- To a large bowl add besan, ajwain and salt and mix.
- Add chopped onion, grated carrot, chopped cilantro, chopped green pepper, chopped ginger and chopped green chili.
- Start adding water little by little while whisking continuously to form a thick batter of pouring consistency.It should not be runny but it should not be very thick either. It should have a pouring consistency.
- Heat a iron skillet/tawa on medium heat. Once the skillet is hot, take a ladle full of the batter.
- And pour it on hot tawa. Move the ladle in circular motion to spread the batter on the tawa.It should be a round circle of 5 to 6 inch diameter.
- Pour around 1/2 teaspoon oil around the edges of the chilla and few drop on top.
- Let it cook for 1 to 2 minutes and then flip.Press with a spatula and let the other side cook for around 2 minutes on medium heat.
- It should have little light brown spots. Once cooked from both sides, remove the chilla from pan.
- Make all besan chilla in similar way. You will get more or less chilla out of this better depending on how big you make them.Serve with chutney or tomato ketchup!
You can add veggies like beetroot, tomato, zucchini, spinach etc. to the chilla as well. You can even fill it with paneer or tofu to make it more filling.