Ratlami sev is a famous snack and is made up of gram flour. It is a favorite snacking food among vegetarians throughout India.
For Spice Mix:
- ¾ tsp cloves
- ¼ tsp ajwain / carom seeds
- ½ tsp fennel / saunf
- 1 tsp cumin / jeera
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 pods cardamom
- ¼ inch cinnamon
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- pinch hing / asafoetida
- ½ tsp ginger powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2½ cup besan / gram flour
- ½ cup water
- oil for frying
- firstly, in a tawa dry roast ¾ tsp cloves, ¼ tsp ajwain, ½ tsp fennel, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp pepper, 2 pods cardamom and ¼ inch cinnamon.
- blend to a fine powder without adding water.
- transfer the spice mix to a bowl and add ¼ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp chilli powder, pinch hing, ½ tsp ginger powder, ¼ tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, 2 tbsp oil and 1 tsp lemon juice.
- mix well making sure the spices are well combined.
- further, add 2½ cup besan, crumble and mix well.
- now add ½ cup water and knead to a non-sticky dough. the dough will be slightly sticky, that's normal.
- grease the small holed mould with some oil and stuff dough into it.
- further, press and spread the sev in hot oil forming a circle in the oil and make sure you do not overlap.
- after a minute, flip over and fry the other side and fry well.
- finally, drain over kitchen paper to absorb oil and repeat making more ratlami sev with the remaining dough.