SARSON KA SAAG (AUTHENTIC PUNJABI STYLE)
The combo of sarson ka saagtopped with butter and served with makki ki roti taste too good and is a winterstaple in north India.
For Sarson Ka Saag
- 1 bunch mustard leaves (sarson)
- ½ bunch bathua leaves (chenopodium)
- ½ bunch spinach leaves
- 1 cup chopped tender radish leaves (mooli ke patte)
- 2 to 3 inches white radish root
- 1 cup fenugreek leaves, chopped
- 2 medium sized onions, chopped
- 3 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
- 2 inch ginger, chopped
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 7 to 8 garlic, chopped
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 to 2 pinch asafoetida or ¼ teaspoon asafoetida powder (hing)
- 2 to 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoon maize flour
- salt as required
Tempering For 3 Servings
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoon oil
- 3 bowls of cooked saag
Making Sarson KaSaag
- Firstly clean and chop all the greens. then wash the greens well.
- In a pressure cooker or pan add all the ingredients listed under saag except for maize flour.
- Cover the pressure cook and cook for 6-7 minutes ormore
- If cooking in a pan, then cover and let the greens cook till done. Do check occasionally.
- Pour the greens along with the stock and maize flour in a blender. blend till smooth.
- In another pan, pour the pureed greens.
- Simmer for a good 25-30 minutes.
Tempering ForSarson Ka Saag
- In another small pan, heat oil or ghee
- Add the chopped onions and fry them till light brown.
- Add the prepared saag. Stir and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Stir ocaasionally.
- Serve sarson ka saag hot with some chopped onions, whole green chilies and a dollop of butter on the saag with makki di roti