Ulundu Vadai (Uddina Vada)
These Uddina Vada are crisp and tasty fried black grams donuts shaped fritters. A popular South Indian snack.
- 1 cup urad dal (black gram)
- ¼ teaspoon crushed black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 2 to 3 tablespoon water or strained water of the soaked urad dal
- salt as required
- oil for deep frying
- Rinse the urad dal in water for a couple of times.
- Soak them in enough water overnight or for atleast 4-5 hours.
Making Ulundu Vadai Batter
- Drain well and take all the lentils in the grinder jar.
- First add 1 tbsp water and grind the lentils for a few minutes.
- Switch off the grinder and scrape the sides of the jar with a spatula and add the unground lentils which stick to the sides of the jar inside the jar.
- Add 1 tbsp water and stir with the spatula.
- Grind again in intervals scraping and stirring the batter a few times.
- If you find difficulty in grinding the batter, you can add 1/2 or 1 tbsp water more.
- When the batter has become smooth, fluffy and soft, stop grinding.
- There should be no grainy texture in the batter. It should feel very smooth on your fingers.
- Add the crushed black pepper, cumin, green chilies, asafoetida and salt to the ground batter.
- Mix well and keep aside.
Frying Ulundu Vadai
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan for deep frying the vadas.
- Shape the ulundu vadai as explained in the step by step pic below.
- Fry them in medium hot oil till golden and crisp.
- Drain them on paper napkins and serve the Uddina Vada hot with coconut chutney and sambar.