Moong Dal Tadka
Moong Dal Tadka is a simple Indian dal made with split petite yellow lentils. Tempered with mustard, cumin, garlic & curry leaves this dal is also vegan!
- 1 cup moong dal dhuli 200 grams, also known as split petite yellow lentils
- 3 cups water 24 oz
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil 15 ml, or you can also use ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon hing asafoetida
- 5-6 large garlic cloves sliced
- 1-2 dried red chilies
- 6-7 curry leaves
- half lemon juice of
- chopped cilantro
- To you Instant Pot or regular stove top pressure cooker, add the dal, 3 cups water, chopped tomato, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Stir to combine.
- If using Instant pot, cook for 5 minutes at high pressure. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then do a quick release. If using traditional pressure cooker, cook for 2-3 whistles on high heat. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Once the pressure is released, open the lid of the cooker and give the dal a stir. Adjust the consistency of dal at this point to your preference.I added 1/2 cup extra water at this point.
- To make the tempering, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a small pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and the mustard seeds.
- Let the seeds sizzle, wait until the mustard seeds pop. Then add the hing.
- Add the sliced garlic and dried red chilies and saute for 2 to 3 minutes until garlic become light brown in color.
- Then add the curry leaves and saute for few seconds.
- Transfer tempering to the cooked dal and stir.
- Add in the lemon juice, chopped cilantro and mix. Serve moong dal over rice for a comforting meal!
* To make the entire moong dal recipe in one-pot: First heat the oil, then add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, hing, garlic, dried red chilies and curry leaves. Saute until garlic turns light brown. Then add the dal, tomato, turmeric, salt, red chili powder and salt and cook for 4 to 5 minutes at high pressure in your Instant Pot or for 2 whistles at high heat in your traditional pressure cooker. Let the pressure release naturally. Then add the cilantro and lemon juice at the end and serve. * To make this recipe gluten-free, skip the hing (asafoetida) or use a gluten-free hing.