Packed with plenty of spice, this healthy vegan curry recipe has less than 200 calories. For a more filling family meal, serve our chana masala with a roti
- Chana / Kabuli Chana / Chickpeas – 2 cups
- Onion – 1 large sliced
- Tomatoes – 2 large chopped
- Ginger -1 inch piece
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Kasuri Methi leaves / Dried Fenugreek leaves – 2tblspn
- Salt to taste
- Oil- 4 tblspn
- Coriander Leaves / Cilantro – 3 tblspn chopped
- Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
For Chana Masala Powder:
- Cinnamon / Pattai– 1 small stick
- Cardamom / Yelakai – 5
- Cloves / Krambu – 4
- Whole Pepper / Mulu Milagu – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam -1 tsp
- Coriander Seeds / Thania / Malli -1 tblspn
- Dry Red Chilli – 2
- Soak Channa overnight or upto 8 hours. Drain it andadd it to pressure cooker with salt and cook it for 4 whistle, then simmer itfor 20 mins. Turn off the heat, let the steam go all by itself. Now open thecooker and set aside.
- Now start by making masala..Dry roast allingrediants given in the list till nice aroma comes.Remove it to a plate andallow it to cool down. Now grind it into fine powder.
- Heat 2 tblspn oil in a kadai. Add ginger, garlicand onion. Fry this till golden
- Now add in tomatoes and cook till it turn mushy.Putit in the blender and make into a fine paste.
- Now heat 2 tblspn of oil and the ground masala andcook for 3 mins.. Add the ground masala and mix well..Fry that for 3 mins.
- Add the cooked channa along with any water in thereand add some additional water to make the gravy
- Now take 4 ladleful of this gravy along with channainto a blender and make into a fine paste
- Add this to the gravy and mix well..Add salt andkasuri methi leaves and mix well
- Bring this to a boil and simmer it for 15 minsuntill oil floats on top.
- Garnish with cilantro and lemon juice.
- Serve hot with roti.