BESAN BARFI (DANEDAR)
Popular Indiansweet, Besan Burfi is made with gram flour, ghee and flavored with cardamom.This homemade recipe makes melt-in-mouth burfi every time! Gluten-free.
- 1 cup ghee 200 grams
- 3 cups besan 325 grams (gram flour)
- 1.5 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2 cups minus 2 tablespoons granulated white s
- 1/2 cup +1 tablespoon water 120 ml + 15 ml
- Chopped pistachios for garnishing
- Line a 9 x 9 inch pan with parchment paper and set aside. You can even use a bigger pan (like 10 x 13 inch) to make thinner burfis.
- Melt ghee in a pan on medium heat. Add the sifted besan into the pan and stir. Lower the heat to "low".
- Start stirring, the besan will clump up at first. Don't worry and keep stirring. After around 15 minutes, the besan will start to loosen up (see pictures above).
- After stirring for around 20 minutes, it will become smooth. Around 25 minutes, it will become like a smooth paste. Add cardamom powder at this point and cook for 5 more minutes.
- So, I cooked the besan for total of 30 minutes on low heat. Remove pan from heat and set aside. Let it cool down slightly while you make the sugar syrup.
- To a pan, add sugar and water on medium heat. Let the sugar dissolve, will take around 4 to 5 minutes.
- Then lower the heat and let syrup simmer for 5 to 6 minutes until it reaches one string consistency. It takes me 6 minutes always after the sugar dissolves to reach the 1 string consistency on low heat.
- Put a drop of sugar syrup between your thumb and index finger and pull them apart, you should see a single thread formation. This is the right consistency. Turn off the heat as soon as the syrup reaches that stage. Do not over cook the sugar syrup.
- Now add the sugar syrup to the cooked besan (PS: heat is off at this point).
- Stir until all the sugar syrup is well combined with the besan. Do not do this for a long time, act quickly here.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9 x 9 inch pan lined with parchment paper. Tap the pan to get rid of excess air. Sprinkle pistachios on top.
- Let the burfi set for 1 hour and then cut into pieces. I trim the edges and then cut them into squares.
- Store besan burfi at room temperature for 10 days!
- The most important thing is to roast the besan properly so that the burfi doesn't taste raw. So do roast for 25-30 minutes on low heat.
- You can even add saffron strands for extra flavor. Add it while roasting the besan towards the end.