KOTHIMBIR VADI (STANDARD)
Kothimbir vadi isa delicious savory crisp snack made with gram flour (besan), coriander leavesand spices.
For Roasting Peanuts
- ¼ cup peanuts
For Ground Paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 2 green chilies or 2 teaspoons green chilies
- 1 to 2 tablespoon water for grinding
Other IngredientsFor Kothimbir Vadi
- 2 cups coriander leaves - finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder or cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (ground coriander)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (ground cumin)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) - optional
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1 cup besan (gram flour or chickpea flour)
- ½ teaspoon sugar - optional
- salt as required
- ½ cup water for batter
- 1 to 1.5 cups water
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Heat a tawa or pan and keep the flame to a low or medium. Add ¼ cup peanuts.
- Stir at intervals and roast till the peanuts become crunchy. The peanuts skin will also have some brown-black spots on them. Remove them in a plate and let them cool.
- Rub the peanuts in your palms. This will remove the flaky skin. Now add the peanuts in a small grinder jar.
- Grind to a coarse powder. Remove and keep aside.
- In the same small grinder, add 1 teaspoon ginger, 1 teaspoon garlic and 2 green chilies (or 2 teaspoons green chilies).
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoon water and grind to a smooth paste. Keep aside. Alternatively you can even crush the garlic, ginger and green chilies in a mortar-pestle.
- Rinse coriander leaves very well. Drain the extra water and finely chop them. You will need 2 cups of finely chopped coriander leaves.
Making KothimbirVadi Batter
- Take the coriander leaves in a mixing bowl.
- Add the ginger+garlic+green chilli paste.
- Now add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon red chili powder, ½ teaspoon coriander powder, ½ teaspoon cumin powder and 1 pinch of hing (optional).
- Next add the coarsely ground peanut powder and 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds.
- Add 1 cup besan (gram flour).
- Now add ½ teaspoon sugar (optional) and salt as required.
- Mix everything very well.
- Now add ½ cup water in parts and begin to mix the batter.
- Mix well to a thick batter. Add water as required and in parts.
Steaming Kothimbir Vadi
- Grease a pan with some oil.
- Now add the batter in the pan.
- Bring to boil 1 to 1.5 cups water in another pan.
- Lower the flame and holding the pan (in which batter is there) with tongs keep it inside the pan with water.
- Cover with a lid and steam on a low to medium flame.
- Once done, check with a tooth pick and it should come out clean. When the kothimbir mixture is cooled, then gently remove the entire layer on a plate. With a butter knife loosen the edges and invert the pan on a plate. Tap the pan and unmold the layer.
- Now cut in square or diamond shaped slices.
Pan FryingKothimbir Vadi
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a tawa or pan. Place the steamed kothimbir vadi and pan fry on medium flame.
- When the base is golden, flip and fry the other side.
- Flip a couple of times more and fry till the sides are crisp and golden. You can even deep fry them if you want.
- Place the pan fried kothimbir vadi on kitchen paper towels for extra oil to be absorbed. Fry the remaining kothmir vadi in the same way.
- Serve hot or warm with any chutney or sauce of your choice.