MUTTON ROGAN JOSH RECIPE
Rogan Josh is a Kashmiri style Mutton (Lamb) Curry made with spices like fennel seeds anddry ginger.
- 5 tbsp MUSTARD OIL
- 3-4 Black Cardamom Crushed
- 4-5 Cloves Crushed
- 8-10 Black peppercorn Crushed
- 4-5 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Hing
- 800 g Mutton
- 2 tbsp Milk Hot
- 1 pinch Saffron
- 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 1 tsp Maida
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 3 tsp Fennel Powder
- 1 tsp Dry Ginger Powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- Salt to taste
- Soak saffron in milk .
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Add black cardamom, cloves and whole peppercorns.
- Fry for 10 seconds.
- Add whole red chilies, cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- Add the mutton and cook on high heat for 5-6 minutes, till it turns slightly brown.
- Now add ½ cup water and cook for 10-12 minutes on low flame.
- Whisk the yogurt with 1 tsp maida.
- Add Kashmiri red chilli powder, fennel powder, dry ginger powder, coriander powder, salt and milk with saffron.
- Mix well.
- Add the yogurt in the pan.
- Cook for a minute.
- Add a cup of water and cook the mutton for 15-20minutes on medium low heat till done
- Serve hot with steamed rice or Naan.
This dish is traditionally made in GHEE but you can choose to use any oil of your choice. Adding some maida in yogurt make sure it doesn't split while cooking. Rogan josh is traditionally made in a pan over low heat but I used a pressure cooker to fasten the process.