Dal pakwan is oneof the popular sindhi breakfast recipe. It is basically chana dal (bengal gram)served with pakwan (crisp fried Indian bread).
For Making Dal:
- 1.25 cup Shahi Gharana chana dal or bengal gram
- 2 to 2.5 cups water
- 2 green chilies, slit
- 8 to 10 curry leaves - optional
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchurpowder)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ to 1 teaspoon sugar or as required (optional)
- salt as required
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon Mustard oil
- Rinse and soak the chana dal in water for almost 2 hours.
- Drain and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker, take the dal and 2 to 2.5 cups water. Pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
- The grains should be cooked yet separate.
- Once the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid.
- Add all the spice powders, sugar and salt to the cooked dal.
- Stir and add water if required. I added 1 cup water at this stage. You can add the amount of water as required.
- Simmer for 7-8 minutes or more on a low flame till a medium consistency of the dal is reached.
- Keep the dal aside.
- In another pan, heat oil or ghee.
- Crackle the cumin first and then add the green chilies and saute for a minute.
- Add curry leaves and asafoetida and saute for a further minute or two on a low flame.
- Pour this sauteed mixture along with the oil in the dal.
- Stir and serve the steaming hot sindhi dal with pakwan accompanied with some chopped onions, coriander mint chutney and sweet tamarind chutney. enjoy the sindhi dal pakwan as a breakfast dish or snacks