It is a sweet flatbread savoured on almost all the occasions in India. Served piping hot with a dollopof ghee, it is flavorful and filling.
For The Filling
- 2 cups Cooked Chana Dal
- 1 cup Jaggery (Grated)
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Powder (Not traditional. I add it because I like the flavour.)
For The Dough
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder (Not traditional. I add it for that lovely colour.)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Ghee (Plus for frying)
- Mix flour, turmeric powder, salt and ghee in a bowl and mix well using your finger tips.
- Add little water and make a soft dough.
- Cover and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Mix cooked dal, jaggery and ghee in a pan and cook until jaggery is dissolved and mixed with dal.
- Simmer the heat and cook the mixture until it starts to leave the sides of the pan and is thickened nicely.
- Add nutmeg powder, cardamom powder and fennel powder and mix well.
- Remove the filling from heat and let it cool.
- Divide the filling into 6-8 equal parts.
- Divide the dough into 6-8 equal portions.
- Dust and roll the dough balls to make a 4-5 inch circle.
- Keep a filling ball in the centre of the dough circle and bring the ends together.
- Dust and roll again to make a 6 inch circle.
- Heat a griddle and transfer the Puran Poli on the griddle.
- Cook from both the sides until brown spots appear.
- Apply ghee on both the sides and press the Puran Poli using back of a ladle and fry until golden brown from both the sides.
- Make all the Puran Poli in the same manner
- Apply some more ghee on top and serve it with Katachi Amti.
You can use half all purpose flour and half whole wheat flour to make the dough too. Adding some ghee while kneading the dough makes the poli crispy. You can choose to not add turmeric powder in the dough. Drain the cooked dal nicely otherwise it will take a long time to cook it. Reserve the water from the cooked dal to make Amti. The amount of filling should be equal to the amount of dough. Apply ghee on the poli only when the brown spots appear. It will make it crispy. You can store Puran Poli for upto a week in refrigerator. Just heat on a griddle and apply some more ghee before serving.